Thursday 18 May 2017

TALK ABOUT WEDDINGS . . . and SUNDAY CHICKEN

                                                May 18, 1974

                                                    *******
                               
                                           Letter from Mom
March 24/74          (from Shoal Lake:  8 cent stamp)

        Received your letter last week but had no time to answer and when I was not doing anything I slept or just did not feel like writing about the Ukarianian Wedding that mother put kolachi on bride and groom is she was blessing then she was giving her blessing 
when I was getting married it was still like that and lot more but


when Nellie was getting married that part was out
and now a lot more is out as everyone shortened the wedding ceremony to a day which was three days. 

I have been knitting mitts all the time when I had time or was to lazy to do anything eles I finished 2 pairs last week.  I got more patterns for chusion tops but it an applecants so I will have to buy some cloth before I can do  then Mrs Starsiuk will zigzag them for me but its only one pattern I can use as the other two are round unless I do some thinking about how to change them.



I was talking to Diana to day.  I will write out the recipe for bortch I hope I can write it so you could make out as its better to see but can’t be helped so I will try the best.

Nestor phoned last week and said he be home weekend but with the roads being blocked he did not so I will see when he does come its better when I know but it don’t matter I allways sort of clean up Friday anyways
I made a batch of doughnuts last Thurs. so I will have that and we bought quarter beef so I have a bit of steakes so when he comes only will have to taw them a head. 

If you wish you can send your white scarf and I will work on it when I will have time get it done some time I have bought the yarn all ready I bought 2 balls I think that should be enough.

The boys made their income tax and they got to pay


  Matt has the most

I will close for now and get at that recipe

May God be with you at all time and guide you       Love Mother



* The picture of Matt was taken about 1960.  He was the best man at a wedding.  Matt LOVED to dance -- he would dance EVERY dance at a wedding.

                                            **************



Mom and I cooked all the food for Bryan's and my wedding.



 I planned the menu and I wanted it to be simple and tried and true.  Also, I loved Indian food.  



The curried chicken recipe on page 70 of this cookbook fit the bill, perfectly.

2 tbsp butter
3 tsp curry powder
1 apple, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
6 to 8 pieces chicken thighs and drumsticks
Can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup cream
Salt, paprika

·        Start oven preheating to 350.
·        Sauté the curry powder, apple, and onion in the butter until tender.
·        Add soup and cream.
·        Salt and paprika the chicken in a baking pan.
·        Pour sauce over it.

·        Bake uncovered for one hour.  (Peg Bracken says 1.5 hours) 

                                              ***********

For more about our wedding food , go to:

http://eleanorstadnyk.blogspot.ca/2013/05/thirty-nine-years.html?m=0

No comments:

Post a Comment