Monday 22 May 2017

MAY 22 : a VERY SPECIAL DAY . . . and Orange Biscuits

Letter from Mom:       May 24th 1981  (From Shoal Lake, 17 cent stamp)



        I am so happy its all over the baby did come I was so worried before. 


        I forgot to ask Bryan whethere you were long in labur. I don’t know whats wrong with me I only look after the chicks and don’t do much but I am allways tired I am resting up now but I didn’t do the ironing was going to do that every day since Wednesday but it still sitting.

It rained Friday Sat and today there was a bit of rain in those day but today only spiting but a lot of mud so will have to wash the floor when it clears up.  I have two goslings in the box in house these rainy days



I will come to your place June 9th and stay till after Bryan comes home I hope you don’t mind me not staying longer I may when I get there  I am sure the little bundle will have me attached they all do but I don’t want to take over.


If it be all right with you I would like my hair done I will take the stuff if you can only curl it the rest I will do.  If not I will get done a hairdressers but it much to much.  I am getting it cut June 2nd as we don’t go to town much now. 
Like we did before I would have it done then but I got to go to the Doctor that day at 2 oclock. 
We have planted a little garden just before the rain so it must come up nice now.
I phoned George and Donald to tell them the knews but Karen was not home so Donald said he will tell her but she didn’t phone me yet


Diana was very happy on spending the long weekend with you.  I phoned her 
        The men still seeding  Matt is selling his cattle as he has no pasture for them  it’s just as well he sells only leaving six head that’s all pasture he hase for them.
        I will Close for now hoping this will reach you in very best of health and happiness
                        May god bless you all

                                        Love Mother

********

  DINNER, 2017



Georgian Beef Stew (Please to the Table, p. 153)

Homemade Sauerkraut Salad


Baked Carrots and Parsnips

Couscous with dates and Almonds


****



Double-Layer Carrot Cake (Rebar Cookbook, p. 210 )



******

BONUS . . . a  recipe from Bryan



ORANGE BISCUITS

Grated rind from one large orange
½ cup fresh orange juice
1 cup sugar

2 cups flour
2 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ cup soft butter
1 cup milk

1 tablespoon sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
                 
1.    Grate orange rind and stir together with orange juice and sugar.  Spread this on the bottom of a 9x9 pan.
2.      Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

3.     Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in food processor.
4.     Add butter and process to fine crumbs.
5.     Turn flour mixture into a mixing bowl.
6.     Stir milk into flour, stirring only long enough to combine.
(The secret to tender biscuits is minimum handling.)
7.     Turn onto a floured counter and pat into a 9x12 rectangle.
8.  Stir together 1 tbsp sugar and cinnamon.  Sprinkle the dough.
9.  Roll up like a jelly roll.  Cut into 12 slices and lay these down on the orange syrup, cut side down.
10.  Bake 20 to 25 minutes until almost all the juice has been absorbed.


Serve hot.  I like them with butter.  Yum!





No comments:

Post a Comment