Friday 3 February 2017

Mom's news in 1973 . . . and Oven-Roasted Chicken Techniques


 colors so we can wait till you are home.

Dad is going to Russburn to day and Monday he is shipping his rats & foxes  to Winnipeg.

It’s a good idea to prepare a nice meal at least once a week it give you to practise a good meal. 

Is Nestor back in Winnipeg he phoned before he left and said he will stay longer this time I will try and phone him wishing him a happy birthday.  I was no where to get him a card perhaps Tue if I don’t forget but it will be to late anyways.


There is one store here selling out so has stuff 25% off.  Matt bought cherrie pie filling and gave me so I bake a pie but I think I will make the lemon pies for tomorrow and gave him that now as I got pie crusts baked some time now and have to use them first before I can bake some thing else he like lemon pies any ways.


 I am still knitting mitts at evenings to pass the time as I don’t care to do something else


will start and do some bedroom slippers for kids so it will be something different it will be a lot to think as they are different then the ones I did befor the don’t have a heel so they fit any size.


Naomi stayed with us three days she was ready to stay longer but did not make a fuss when George told to come home in her little way shes a lady and knows what she wants you don’t see this in your own cause you see them all the time and be side your to busy to pay that much attention.

David is walking already he started to walk on his birthday.


Did Stasia write about receiving the things that were left and I send to her if the got there all right as she didn’t write for a long time and she wrote last week and said only that she got all the things which I could not figer out as we send three times I presume she got the chickens & Xmas present from us as she mentioned the boys like the shorts but she didn’t mentioned about the pillows so I don’t know whethere she received your things she is much happier that Carl is home more.

I will close for now wishing you girls the best of everything and may Good Lord guide in to righturness.

                                                Love Mother  

                                                    *******


Oven-Roasted Chicken:  my favorite technique

I love just shaking the chicken pieces in some seasoned breadcrumbs or spicing it up some way and sticking in the oven.  I used to do it for one hour at 350, but 45 minutes seems to be enough.
Now, I’ve learned that you can do it for only 30 minutes at 425.  Also very nice although Bryan prefers the crunchier skin you get after 45 minutes.

                                                           **********

Here’s how you can cook a meal for A LOT of people, thanks to CHATELAINE MAGAZINE.

12 or more chicken drumsticks and/or thighs
1 tbsp honey (or more if you cook more than 12 pieces)
24 cherry tomatoes (they’re a bit bigger than the grape tomatoes in the boxes)
1 head garlic (or more if you’re cooking more than 12 chicken pieces)
Fresh chopped herbs (such as thyme, parsley, or whatever you have)
2 tbsp canola oil
Salt & pepper
1 bunch asparagus (optional if you have a separate veg dish planned)
Lemon wedges

·        Arrange oven racks in middle and bottom third of oven. 
·        Put one tbsp. oil on each of 2 large baking sheets.
·        Peel garlic and divide the cloves between the 2 sheets.  Roll them in the oil to cover.
·        Divide tomatoes between the 2 sheets.  Roll them in the oil.
Do not put asparagus on sheets yet!
·        Preheat the oven to 425.
·        Divide the chicken between the 2 sheets.  Roll in the oil.
·        Melt the honey.  Brush the chicken pieces with the honey.
·        Sprinkle everything with salt and pepper.
·        Scatter fresh herbs on the chicken.
·        Bake for 15 minutes.
·        Take out the pans.  Divide the asparagus between the 2 sheets now.


·        Switch pans around and bake 15 more minutes.  Test to see if the chicken is done.  If not bake 5 more minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment