Tuesday 6 December 2016

Bonjour aux Visiteurs Français . . . and LEEK QUICHE

I have been pleased to see in my Blog History that I get a number of visitors from France.  


My first visit to France was as an employee of the Canadian Government.  I was blown away by the Rose Window in Chartres Cathedral.

In Paris, I stayed at the Grand Hotel, and the ensuite bathroom obviously made quite an impression because I still have a mind picture of a room tiled black and white and a bidet.




Then, Bryan and I visited Paris on our honeymoon in 1974.  We stayed in a small hotel on the Left Bank.


Memorable Gastronomic experiences?  On the government’s dime:


. . . my first oysters on the half shell: what a struggle with that waiter's all-knowing eye on me.


. . . ris de veau in a fancy restaurant. I didn't actually know what I was ordering except that it was veal.


As a newlywed:


. . . baguette and cold cuts on the Champs Elysée . . . 



*******


My latest creation:




LEEK QUICHE (FLAMICHE --  QUICHE aux POIREAUX)


from:  MASTERING the ART of FRENCH COOKING  by Julia Child, Louisette Bertholle, and Simone Beck


1 lb finely sliced white of leek
½ cup water
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp butter


3 eggs
1 ½ cups whipping cream
Pinch of nutmeg
⅛ tsp pepper
½ tsp salt
a 9 inch partially-baked pie crust  
¼ cup grated Swiss cheese
1 tbsp butter cut into tiny pieces


  • Make and bake the pie crust for only 8 minutes (partially baked).  Use Mary Stadnyk’s pie crust recipe:  
     http://eleanorstadnyk.blogspot.com/2013/06/company-and-pie-crust.html
  •  Let cool.
  • Boil the leeks over moderately high heat in a covered saucepan with the water, salt, and 3 tbsp butter until liquid has almost evaporated.  Then lower heat and stew over minimum heat for 2 to 30 minutes until leeks are very tender.  
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  • Whisk the eggs, cream and seasonings to blend.  Gradually stir in the leeks.
  • Pour into pie shell.  
  • Spread on the cheese and distribute the bits of butter.
  • Julia says bake for 30 minutes but mine needed 15 more minutes.


Fantastique! 



Serve with a salad or Julia’s amazing Tomates à la Provençale, page 507.   Yes, you really need to get her book.  


Kepler ate the quiche, too!

P.S. Note the Cobalt Blue Pyrex Pie Dish circa 1974? I found it in a Thrift Shop in Laredo!




No comments:

Post a Comment