Wednesday 2 November 2016

Nov 1, 1978 . . . and Mexican PAN DE MUERTO


Shoal Lake: Nov 1st 1978
Christmas stamp 14 cents
Received your letter Tuesday but didn’t get around to write yesterday as when I tried the gobblets came and then I made order for Christmas as I didn’t get much yet and there be more to be bought here I don’t know what to get Bryan perhaps you can help me.  I still didn’t get at house cleaning today I thought I would do some windows but I am not feeling good today last night I had cramps in my leg and today I feel stiff all over must be the flue I am getting everyone had it now its my turn 



Dad had not been getting any wild ducks as they must went to big lakes there is none around and prairie chickens don’t stay still for him to get. I have killed all the ducks and have three more geese to do would have had four but George took one gander as he has two mother geese so he wonts to keep

 at least Naomi wants too as Mike Katlar gave them to her.  Dad been lisining to the conference for three days now he says they will go home and sleep on it.  We were in church last Sunday after we were in the store to pick up Alines Embroidry book and I bought myself 3 brackets to hang up the planters but first I had to paint them I hope Dad puts them up when ready as I don’t know where to put them 



Matt still didn’t hook up the Dryer I hope he dose when I wash again it may be next week as first I want to finnish plucking but I have no place for geese as Matt gave us a pig and



 Donald have a veal so the deep freese is full with all the chickens as well.  I am sorry you have so much hard work with German langwage I guess no matter what language you try its hard if you learn from scratch. 



I have finished Dianas apron only I made a boo boo I hope it don’t show I think it won’t I have crochet her cuchions only to sew them up which is not easy as she wants velvet backing and besides I got to fill one cushion with feathers and I don’t know whethere I got feathers.  I am going to start on the round cushion wish me luck I may need it.  About souring heads is not much work but its better out side in August so it would not smell your house with so when you come I will tell you how and you could write it down and make it next year even in July when you cabbage heads I have lost 10 lbs I can even wear my brown dress to church so I don’t have to buy one as that one just like new if I loose more anthere 10 lbs I got a dress I haven’t  wore and it cost me $50.00 I hope I can do that then I won’t worry about loosing any more.  I just eat one meal some days others I eat even three but those days I don’t eat helps but so far I haven’t made any pyrohy that helps as I make a pig of myself then.  Oh that picture your uncle Fred gave I hope you still have it as some how I lost the copys you gave me I looked high and low and they can’t be found.  As hes dead he will not need 

but Hellen wants one I gave back the one I had from her.  I will close for now as I got to get supper and after write to Diana as I got a letter from her.  I will close with wishes for easer work with your lessens and my you tomorrow be merry and bright and Bryans.  
Love Mother
                                                                   *****


******
THE LOST RECIPE FOR HAPPINESS by Barbara O’Neal is a “delicious read” about a chef who bases her menu on her Mexican grandmother’s recipes.  Here is her

BREAD of the DEAD

1 cup milk
1 tsp salt
½ cup butter
¼ cup warm water
1 tbsp flour
1 tsp sugar
4 ½ tsps. Yeast (2 packages)
½ cup sugar
4 eggs

            Glaze:
1/8 cup sugar
1/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
2 tbsp orange zest

*Put milk, salt, and butter in microwave.  Heat until scalded (1 minute and 30 seconds).  Let stand about 10 minutes.
*Put warm water, 1 tbsp flour, and 1 tsp sugar in a small bowl.  Add yeast and let dissolve for 5 minutes.
*Put 1 ½ cups flour in a large bowl.  Mix in anise seed and sugar. 
*Stir in the milk & butter and the yeast.
* Beat eggs in another bowl.  Then add to the large bowl.
*Stir in more flour until dough is soft. 
* Turn out and knead.  Use enough flour so dough is soft and not sticky.  (Bryan put in all of the 5 cups.)
*Grease a bowl.  Put in dough.  Cover and let rise in warm place for 1 to 2 hours – until doubled.
*Punch down and shape into 2 loaves that look like skulls.  Let loaves rise 40 minutes.  Then set preheating oven to 350.
*Bake 40 minutes.  Then glaze.  Sprinkle with colored sugar.  (Bryan used green sugar crystals to mark the eyes and cross-hatched mouth.)

Glaze:  Boil together sugar, orange juice, and zest for 2 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment