Thursday 10 November 2016

Mom: Nov 10, 1981 . . . and Balkan LEEK SOUP

Nov 10th 1981   (from Shoal Lake:  17 cent stamp)
        I received your letter last week for which I thank you very much and the pictures too. 

Yes I got the pictures and paid for them and I got the nagatives too  But Aline has them now she will give them back next week.  Yes you can see them at Christmas and take what you want.
We were to see Wes & Marion Sat

                                    and Sunday we seen Nellie.

And then on the way home we seen Dad brother Steve he is not very well but we were able to talk to him.  He is selling his farm he thinks its enough farming.
I cut Dianas quilt and it didn’t take long to sew it up. 



 I have finished enbroidring anther cushion started on anthere perhaps I will finnish it when Diana comes they are coming Nov 21st
I haven’t put the cording and tassels on yours will do it one of these days. 
I got all the presents and card one of these days will send them out.

Dad killed a young deer he gave Matt half.
Today I gave out the mitts I still don’t have the yarn color beige for your mitts I don’t even know if its beige or tan and besides I haven’t looked at yarns.
I started on granny squars for an afagan but its not coming along much perhaps I will get at in the evenings.
We will kill few geese on Thursday
I bought for baby a christing present but it wait till Christmas.
Wes my brother is coming Friday for Deer hunting he so up in it.  He’s going to saw cord wood he don’t need any but it will be something to do.
Nellie started knitting sweaters evenings shes making a good job but she did knit sweaters when she was young.
We will go to a sale Nov 14th and nov 15 we are going to a birthday party to Dmyterko’s and on nov 21st we are invited to a wedding Nestor Smyr is getting married but only Dad may go as Diana is coming that day.

Nov 28 is church day and fare way party for Paul & Pearl Mushimnski. 


George is buying his place so Matt & George are putting the party.

Hudorits were down selling pork bologna and othere stuff we bought bologany and pork chops.
Dad been going every evening hunting rabbits for the dog but there is not many rabbits. 
We have about 50 bantys to kill about 20 are still to small but the others we will kill soon.  Dad will go to town tomorrow to get me the pills. 
I will close for now may write more next time as now I don’t have much to write  May your days be sunny & bright
                                               God bless you all
                                                                  Love Mother


*******


The pictures Mom was referring to at the start of her letter were taken at Mom and Dad's Golden Wedding Anniversary in October so I've included some of them.

Mom always enjoyed a nice bowl of soup, and I’m sure she would have enjoyed this thick and tasty

BALKAN LEEK SOUP

            From HOMEMAKER’S MAGAZINE:  November 2004

3 leeks, including the green tops
2 stalks celery, with leaves
3 tbsp butter
¼ tsp pepper
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
4 cups water (or vegetable stock)
Salt to taste
½ cup crumbled feta cheese (3 ounces or 90 g)
2 eggs
½ cup plain yogurt


1.      Chop leeks finely.  You can use the food processor.
2.     Finely chop celery, also in the food processor.
3.     Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat.  Cook leeks, celery, and pepper until soft (10 minutes).
4.     Stir in flour.  Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes.
5.     Slowly stir in 4 cups of water (or stock) and salt to taste.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.  (I didn’t think there would be enough liquid but there was.)
6.     Stir in cheese until it melts.
7.     Shortly before serving, beat eggs well with yogurt. 
8.     Stir a lot of hot soup into the eggs.  Then stir this all into the soup.  The soup should be heated until hot, but not boiling.



Note:  It reheats well.  I served it with a Ukrainian beet salad and Bryan’s Russian Dill and Onion Bread. 




                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment