Not far from Deception Falls, another short hike leads to two more waterfalls.
SPINACH: TOPPING for a Pizza or FILLING for a Calzone
Based on a recipe from CHATELAINE MAGAZINE
1 lb spinach (454 g)
2 garlic cloves
½ cup chopped fresh dill
2 tsp olive oil
1 cup ricotta
1 cup feta, divided
½ tsp salt
1/8 tsp nutmeg
Hot red chili flakes to scatter all over the pizza dough (for calzones, use 1 tsp)
Cherry tomatoes, halved
Sundried tomatoes, in oil: chopped
· Chop the spinach, including stems. Set aside.
· Finely chop the onion and garlic.
· Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Stir for 5 minutes.
· Add spinach and stir for 1 minute.
· Add ricotta and cook for 10 minutes until most of the liquid is gone.
· Stir in dill, ½ cup feta, salt, and nutmeg.
ASSEMBLING THE PIZZA
· Stretch or roll the dough to fit the pan.
· Lightly brush the pizza dough with some of the oil from the sundried tomatoes.
· Sprinkle hot red chili flakes all over the dough.
· Bake in 500 degree oven for 7 minutes.
· Lower heat to 450.
· Spread dough with spinach.
· Sprinkle on the other half cup of crumbled feta.
· Distribute cherry tomato halves and some chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
· Bake for 15 minutes.
I enjoyed this pizza SO MUCH that I have to have it again, but I want to put the spinach topping into calzones for camping. I’ll let you know how that goes.