Monday 25 January 2016

"I will always be thinking about you" . . . and HUNGARIAN CABBAGE ROLLS

Jan 27/74

Received your letter last week but did not answer because I was lazy each day I said to myself tomorrow and yesterday I was going to but put it off for today as we were going to an 59th Wedding anniversary and thought it be something to write about but there were notting much we all got there at 300 oclock and the lady was surprised her husband went up town so they had to go and get him had supper at 600 we were at fist table with the couple as Dad was a stand by in place of the best man the had but they pinned flower only on the couple that was their wedding anniversary they have their Gandchilden married even the great grand children are at ages of 15 yrs an 13 yrs they took a lot of pictures the cake only two tieres they only used half of the bottom and gave big pieces 
Dad & I say Dad suit he has is good enough you could buy yourselfs something instead spending it on him he would get use of it he may live a long time he’s still active he get all occupied in trapping in winter and fishing in summer 

so he dose a lot of walking which is good for him not like some they just sit in the house.  


About the filling for pyrohy you should have in that cookbook of ukarianias Dishes


On Jan 23rd we were to Donalds Daveds birthday was that day Karen baked him an angel food cake out of Robin hood mix and it was very good and very light I may be very busy this week going over the farm bills stapleing up  I am still worried about your wedding that you having the reception there who will clean up there after there be a lot of dishes to do unless you use paper plates and plastic fork & knifes even so there be a lot of glasses and cups if be here we would have some ladys to do that but its not here so may be we could get a cleaning women to do some cleaning up.  


When you get the recipe from Bryans mother send it right away as I will have to get the fruites and want to bake soon so be done with it how will we decorate it 


I will try and do crochet shawl but I am not sure I can do if Aline was closer she would help me and this way I may end up knitting or have Stasia do it for me but she’s so busy I hate to ask her to do it they have them not a pretty in town but not in white and I seen Florences mother in law had one in white and it looked so pretty even that it did not have the designs the crochet ones have.  I will close for now don’t know when I will write as I got to wash this week and those bills and besides when I get knitting I forget everything except to finish what I am knitting I started on Mitts I have finished Dads pair and doing one for myself.  But I will allways be thinking about you all.  Love Mother 
*******

HUNGARIAN CABBAGE ROLLS

            From :  THE FRUGAL GOURMET on our IMMIGRANT ANCESTORS by Jeff Smith



2 tbsp oil

3 cloves garlic

1 medium onion

1 Anaheim green pepper

½ cup long-grain rice

2 ½ cups vegetable broth or chicken stock

1 tbsp Hungarian paprika

1 tsp salt

½ tsp pepper

1 head green cabbage

3 cups sauerkraut, drained:  Reserve liquid

1 pound ground pork

1 egg

½ pound smoked ham



·        Prepare the cabbage:  Use Mary Stadnyk’s method:  http://eleanorstadnyk.blogspot.ca/2016/01/mary-stadnyks-method-of-prepping-fresh.html

·        Mince the garlic.

·        Finely chop the onion. 

·        Sauté the garlic, onion, and Anaheim pepper in the oil for 5 min.  Add the rice, 1 cup of vegetable broth, paprika, salt, and pepper.  Cover and lower heat to minimum for simmer.  Cook 5 to 10 minutes until liquid is absorbed.  Watch carefully or it will burn. 

·        Line bottom of a large glass casserole with 2 cups of drained sauerkraut.

·        Combine ground pork with cooled rice mixture.  Mix in egg, salt, and pepper.

·        Stuff cabbage leaves:  See method in http://eleanorstadnyk.blogspot.ca/2013/12/mary-stadnyks-holubtsi-by-request.html

·        Put cabbage rolls on top of sauerkraut.

·        Slice the ham and scatter the rest of the sauerkraut on top.

·        Preheat oven to 350.

·        Pour remaining 1 ½ cups of vegetable stock over the cabbage rolls. 

·        Add in ½ cup sauerkraut juice.

·        Cover and cook for 1 hour 15 minutes.

·        Take out and add 2 tbsp lard.

·        Cover and cook another 45 minutes.



This is an excellent main dish; you will not need an additional meat dish.    I served turnips and a Hungarian Tomato Salad.



No comments:

Post a Comment