Based on UKRAINIAN CUISINE published in Kiev, 1975: the recipe in the book is called “Cabbage, Tomato, and Carrot Salad”.
500 gr cabbage
150 gr carrots
100 gr green onions
3 tbsp oil
4 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp sugar (book calls for 1 ½ tbsp.)
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper (Pepper not called for in the book)
280 gr tomatoes
· Grate cabbage finely. (Mom always did this for coleslaw, too.)
· Place in skillet. Add salt & vinegar and heat just until you see steam rising. Do not overcook.
· Turn cabbage out immediately into a salad bowl.
· Chop onions finely.
· Grate carrots. (I did them coarsely. Mom would have done them finely.)
· Add onions and carrots to salad bowl along with oil, sugar, and pepper.
· Stir and taste for seasoning.
· Top with sliced tomatoes.