Saturday 25 July 2015

NOSTALGIA . . . and APPLE PECAN PANCAKES

 Are there places that seem to call to you?  Even when they no longer exist?  Here are some of mine:

The house my dad’s parents built

The house in which I was born (from left, Diana, then me)

The house I grew up in  (Anastasia, 1950s)

The abandoned house on our farm.  I still have dreams about this one.  It had two stories and I always thought it was so much nicer than the house we lived in.

The house in India

The first house Bryan and I bought

The cabin that kept creeping downwards toward the lake

The house built with our design input

Mom and Dad’s house in Shoal Lake



When we visited Donald and Karen last May, we couldn’t resist driving out to where Mom and Dad used to live . . . even though everything was gone except for the trees Dad planted.

Recently, Diana walked by her last home in Winnipeg and found herself just staring and staring at it.  She said the big spruce was so trimmed that it looked bare.

“Haunts of my youth!
. . . I behold ye yet” 
Charlotte Smith (1749-1806)

****


This is where I ought to give you a favorite old recipe, but Kepler and Nicole liked


these fluffy APPLE PECAN PANCAKES and, if that isn’t recommendation enough, I’ll just tell you I enjoyed them with syrup and without, picking them up in my hand just like a scone J.

1 cup flour
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp cinnamon
7/8 cup milk
2 eggs, separated
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup finely chopped peeled apple
½ cup finely chopped pecans

·        In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, & cinnamon.
·        In another medium bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
·        In a large bowl, beat together milk, egg yolks, and vanilla.
·        Stir dry ingredients into liquids in large bowl.  
·        Stir in apple and pecans.
·        Fold in egg whites.
·        All set to make pancakes!  Thanks to Renae Moncur who shared her recipe in the magazine, A Taste of Home.

                                      ‘Out with the old, in with the new’. 







 




No comments:

Post a Comment