Tuesday 28 July 2015

A LETTER . . . and Marvellous Marinated Vegetable Salad

July 28th 1982

Dad was away to Diana.  He came home yesterday.  He brought blueberries, they are nice.  I would be able to make pies.  I froze them all.

On Sunday I canned 9 pints of strawberries.  Mervin Presniak gave them to me, they were nice and big.  He got them from strawberry gardens, they irrigate them so they are nice and clean.

Today I went to town in morning and after dinner canned 8 pink cherries.
I forgot all about the yarn I wrote you as I am busy looking after the geese.  We have now 53 young ones.  Oh yes, when I wrote about the yarn I forgot to send the thickness I want so I am sending you a piece but it’s not the color.

About feeding the baby, she can have peas, beans, things like that and minced meat but don’t force.  She may only like some and some not.  But I would not worry.  She can start drinking out of a cup, some will go in and all over but I didn’t wean them till they were 2 or 2 ½ years as if they didn’t eat much they made up on the bottle.  She can have some soups and keep giving her some kind of vitamins.  Don’t worry she don’t walk yet.  When she starts she will make up for the lost time.  She’s only little over a year.

Dad’s brother Steve broke another leg in two places.  He fell in the hospital and his lungs are poor.  I got the letter from his daughter today. 


Tracey & David are in Winnipeg at Shwaluks, friends of Donald & Karen’s.

I wrote to Nestor yesterday.  Valerie Leschyshyn, Miron’s daughter, is getting married Aug 14 at two o’clock in Roblin Redeemer Catholic Church.  Reception is at 5:00 pm in Roblin Hall.  They wrote to tell and I kept forgetting to tell that you all invited as they didn’t have your address. 

About the potatoes, they are like that because you had too much moisture. They will improve, only the dark spot will be there.  You will have to cut it out when you peel. 

Saturday Matt & Shirley are going to some reunion.  It’s on Shirley’s side.
 
***************

 MARINATED VEGETABLE SALAD

        Based on the “Mixed Vegetable Salad” recipe in IDEALS SOUP, SALAD, SANDWICH COOKBOOK   by June Turner and Naomi Arbit

¾ cup cider vinegar
½ cup canola oil
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 can kernel corn, drained
½ cauliflower, divided into small florets
½ red onion, thinly sliced

Lettuce


·        Put vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, and pepper in a jar and shake to combine.
·        Put corn, cauliflower, and onion into a large jar. 
·        Pour dressing over top and marinate for at least 4 hours.  (I actually marinated it for several days.)
·        Wash, tear, and spin lettuce:  a leaf per person is lots.  Put into a large salad bowl.

·        When ready to serve, add the marinated vegetables and toss.  (You probably won’t need to use all the vegetables at one time.  They will keep nicely for another salad the next day, and you’ll be happy to have it again!)

2013 




No comments:

Post a Comment