Saturday 8 November 2014

From Mary Stadnyk on Nov. 8, 1982 . . . and MUSHROOM PEROGIES

Nov 8th 1982


I had the big seat to myself but I didn’t sleep, didn’t want to.  I thank you very much for the big dinner, I still feel guilty that you had to pay so much, thank you for all the pizzas and everything else, I had a lovely time.

When I got home Dad was sanding a chair he was fixing, all the dust on the floor, he didn’t sweep the floor so I did today.  Dad put the chair together today, tomorrow he will varnish it. 



I am going to bake a fish for supper.


It didn’t snow here as much.  I miss the baby, her many sayings, hope she didn’t get the cold.  


Diana phoned last night, she was making apple stadenow and wanted some advice.  I forgot to ask her if they for sure will come for Christmas. 



I still didn’t get together to crochet the rug, perhaps tonight as last night I was watching “Kramer versus Kramer”.  And went to bed at 10 o’clock.
 
Tomorrow we will go to town to cash my cheque and put an ad about my plants.

I will close for now wishing you all the best.


********


Nicole bought a huge $35.00 bag of dried Porcini mushrooms from Indiana so that I could make perogies.  Here’s the recipe I worked out:

      How do you like my new apron?  I picked it up at a Farmer's Market in Laredo.

Eleanor's MUSHROOM PEROGIES

2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms  (or ¾ ounce)
8 ounces fresh mushrooms (button or mixed varieties)
1 medium onion :  8 ounces
2 tbsp butter  
½ tsp dried dill
1 large garlic clove
¼ tsp pepper
1 tsp salt  
1 large onion for sautéed garnish on cooked perogies
Sour cream

·        Cover dried mushrooms with 2 cups boiling water.  Let stand 10 to 20 minutes until softened.  Drain and check for grit; if necessary, rinse the mushrooms well.  Chop the mushrooms finely.  
(The mushroom water may be reserved for making soup, etc.)
·        Chop onion finely in food processor.
·        Chop garlic finely.
·        Chop fresh mushrooms finely in food processor.
·        Heat butter in large skillet over medium heat.   Add onion and garlic and cook about 4 minutes until transparent.
·        Add finely chopped dried and fresh mushrooms.  Cook for about 8 minutes until tender and liquid has evaporated.   (If desired, add some mushroom liquid to increase cooking time, but cook until it evaporates.)
·        Stir in dill, salt, and pepper.  Taste.  Add more seasonings if desired.

For Mary Stadnyk’s dough and instructions on how to stuff and cook perogies/vareniki see: 


*Serve hot, boiled vareniki with sautéed onions and sour cream.

*******
 

Daniela’s carved, footed wooden dish from Ukraine

No comments:

Post a Comment