Thursday 30 October 2014

NICOLE’S BEET & BOURSIN PEROGIES


barbecued salmon and vegetables

Dinner at Nicole’s is always a surprise and an adventure.  Her menus are often contemporary but she also loves and collects retro cookbooks.


Although Nicole does almost all of the cooking, Bryan and I do pitch in from time to time.
Wheatberry bread

Brioche buns

Fougasse

              Nicole has a pasta machine and asked me to make ravioli.  Yikes!!! 

  
 The next time I make ravioli for her, I hope I’ll remember not to roll out all the strips ahead of time, because they did get a bit dry before I was finished stuffing.

Bryan and I fried up the leftover ravioli and covered them with                        
leftover whipped cream!!!  "Pretty good," as my dad would say.

Any­way, the filling was excellent.  In fact I just spooned up all the leftover filling for a pre-dinner snack yesterday and made up my mind to try it in perogies sometime.  

BEET & BOURSIN PEROGIES
½ lb red beets
3 oz  Garlic and Herbs Boursin cheese
½ lemon
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper

·        Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
·        Pierce beets with a fork.  Wrap in aluminum foil and roast 1 hour.
·        Peel, chop, and place in food processor.
·        Add cheese, salt, and pepper.
·        Squeeze lemon and add juice to food processor.
·        Blend well.

For my mother’s unbeatable perogy dough and instructions, see:

*****

If you decide to make ravioli instead of perogies, toss the cooked ravioli in melted butter.  Then sprinkle with red wine vinegar and parmesan.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment