Wednesday 25 June 2014

SHARING: a Letter from Mom ... and a Recipe from Me

June 21st 1982  


Today is a lazy day for me so I thought I will write.  I should have washed but I didn’t want to tire myself as we going to kill the rest of the roasters on Wed, there be about 30 to do so it’s a big job.  We killed last Tues 30 and I was very tired the rest of the week.  We would be doing them by lot fewer  but on the count of water George has to bring from home. 

Dad went fishing with Donald yesterday but didn’t get any.

The Ukrainian dancing group put on pyrogie supper yesterday in hall to raise funds for dancing teacher and they made $700.00, it was a big turn out as it cost only $2.50 and they could eat all they want, they had salad and cakes. 
Shirley helped making pyrogies and yesterday she helped with serving and













Karen took a cake and helped with serving.











Dad went to auction sale today but didn’t buy anything, he went to get garden fence but he didn’t see any, I guess he wasn’t looking hard.  I wanted it to fence up the goslings, I have 38 goslings already and three geese are setting but there will not be many as there is not many eggs after Dad candled them.




Diana wants a purple color cushion, I would need purple mauve and lilac or at least purple mauve and I have white but I can’t get here, there was in one store mauve & lilac, it would have done but it was very fine, I didn’t mind that, I could double it but it $3.25 a ball about 2 oz. so I left it, if you could get in worsted wool I would pay for it.  It would be 3 or 4 ply. 

Diana hasn’t been down yet, they always go to the lake.

I have finished with the incubator,  last hatch was chick hatch out 115 chicks, George took them all, he said he will give few hens in fall.
George bought 10 pheasants and Dad two so George took them all.  He will give us ours in fall.

George & Matt
 are bulldozing on Lornie’s and













Donald is spraying yet, he been at a long time, I thought he was finished.  

Lornie just came in and asked us to the graduation.  I will talk it over with Dad, I think we should go but I don’t know how Dad feels, he always don’t want to go to anything.  Lornie is working on cultivator,  after school he comes as far as his place by school bus.

Dad has cultivated the potatoes, he keeps it clean with Matt’s cultivator.

I am going get my hair done on Thurs.  Ukrainian Women’s Association from Oakburn are taking all members for Chinese dinner on June 29 and they asked me to go but if we go to Lornie’s grad I won’t be able as it’s the same evening.

Dad pulled out all the radishes as they are good and will put in more seeds tomorrow.  I will close with best of luck, give my love to all.  

 ******
I am now the proud owner of two more COOKBOOKS J.


I have already dipped into Cooking for Less: Ground Beef and   feel totally justified in my purchase.  (This cookbook, if you’re interested, is available online for the huge cost of $0.01.)

MENU
Smokey Chili with Pasta (from Cooking for Less: Ground Beef):  Yum!  It                    actually has 2 tablespoons of cocoa in it!
Green Leafy Salad
Spoon Bread
***

I’m not a huge fan of other Corn Breads so I’m going to share this recipe because it’s my not dry and crunchy.  It’s really good with Tomato Soup as well as with a Chili.

SPOON BREAD
175 ml cornmeal
1 cup boiling water

175 ml flour
½ tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp baking soda

3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
3 tbsp softened butter

·        Grease a 9x9 pan.
·        Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
·        Pour boiling water over cornmeal and set aside.
·        Stir together flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.  Set aside.
·        Separate eggs into 2 large bowls.
·        Beat egg whites until stiff.  Set aside.
·        Beat together eggs, buttermilk, and butter in largest bowl.
·        Stir cornmeal into the egg mixture.
·        Stir in the flour.
·        Fold in egg whites.
·        Pour into baking pan.
·        Bake uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes.  Test.


No comments:

Post a Comment