Tuesday 4 March 2014

Letter March 4, 1983 . . . and Lemon & cranberry scones



   I am sorry the baby was so sick, I must have felt it as I was thinking all week before I got the letter.
        
       
We were to Brandon Wed.  It snowed there heavy that it was hard to get around.  Karen drove, she said that Dad should not drive by himself to Brandon.

            I bought the velvet but it was $11.89 a meter so it come up a lot so I may only make myself a dress in the fall.  I wanted to see and buy a pyrogie maker but I couldn’t find it so I may send for one.

           


I sent away for punch work needles, I don’t know how I will make out with it as I only saw the work done but didn’t see no one work it; it’s beautiful work.

           
I am sewing pieces for a quilt but I left it as Aline said she would come and show a different pattern but I think it’s too late as I sewed two squares already.  I still embroider in day time but soon I will have to quit and do the walls, perhaps after 15 of March.

         







  
Next week I am going to start the incubator and hatch some chicks.   We are not going for many, only few .

            I did all I could this week, on Monday I washed and today I vacuumed all the house.
            Twice this week I made chop suey and today I made pyrogies.  Tomorrow I will bake the carrot muffins, Dad likes them.
             I made some marmalade from grapefruit oranges and lemon.  It’s very good and jelled good not too hard.
            Nestor phoned Tues.  He said he’s fine . 
                                                              Did you get a cat? 

                                  Shirley got another pup for the kids.

            Yesterday I wrote to Diana (on right), seemed to have more to say to her, today I don’t have much to say.  

            Karen is almost finished Tracey’s blouse and got to do David’s shirt.  The concert will be April 17th


           Matt is getting a white shirt for Douglas and will have braid put on.

************
I’ve mentioned before that Bryan and I walk almost every day to McDonald’s – it’s about 45 minutes each way so, naturally, we require a little energy boost, and we always share a muffin.  Sometimes, Bryan chooses the Carrot Muffin, but, more often, he gets the Cranberry Orange Muffin, because that’s one of my favorites.

Since we can get muffins at McDonald’s, I like to do something a little different at home:  

Lemon & Cranberry Scones

1 ½ cup flour
¼ cup oat bran
2 tbsp  sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda
¼ tsp salt
Zest of one lemon
1/3 cup butter
1 cup plain yogurt
1 egg
½ cup dried cranberries
Cinnamon mixed with Sugar for sprinkling.

1.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2.  Grease baking sheet.
3.  In food processor, combine sugar, flour, oat bran, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Whirl.
4.  Add lemon zest and butter and whirl.
5.  Transfer all this to large bowl.
6.  Beat egg and mix with yogurt.
7.  Stir into flour.  Add cranberries.
8.  Drop by large spoonfuls onto baking sheet.
9.  Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
10.  Bake 15 min.


No comments:

Post a Comment