Thursday 27 February 2014

Unusual Ingredients . . . and BABY BOK CHOY SALAD

In the past, I have had to skip so many recipes that called for ingredients I couldn’t find, but nowadays that doesn’t happen so often.  This means cooking can be so much more adventurous, which suits me just fine. 

In fact, my family like to say that I can’t resist a recipe that looks like it won’t work or might be really weird.   

I’d like to thank Diana’s friend, Donna, for sharing the magazine that inspired tonight’s dinner and surprised us with a really excellent salad.  I had already tried the "Farro, cherry tomato, and asparagus casserole".  (I didn't like it, but my daughter did.  Have you ever noticed that when you make something you don't like, there's an awful lot of it?)   I will be making the "Red Quinoa Salad with Raspberries and Beets" when raspberries are back in season. I also want to make the "Short Ribs with Black Barley" but there I'm stuck. . . could not find black barley anywhere.    


********
Menu:


Shake and Bake Chicken (a family favorite)

Mixed whole grain rice cakes (Better Homes and Gardens)

Baby Bok Choy and Strawberry Salad

********

BABY BOK CHOY and STRAWBERRY SALAD  (serves 4)
        From Better Homes and Gardens Magazine, March 2013

            Salad Ingredients:
3 or 4 baby bok choy
strawberries (4 to 6 or as many as you like)
Red onion (thinly sliced, as much as you like)

        Dressing ingredients:
¼ cup olive oil
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp liquid honey
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 small clove garlic, minced
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper

1.    Combine dressing ingredients in a small jar.  Shake.
2.   Separate bok choy leaves and cut into bite-size pieces.

3.   Slice strawberries.
4.   Slice onion.
5.   Toss salad ingredients with dressing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment