Wednesday 19 February 2014

Mom taking a break . . . and PEANUT BUTTER CAKE

Feb 19th 1983
            I got your letter today and I want a break from doing my work so thought I should write you. 

















I was glad to hear you all are fine.




           

I embroider all day and started to sew pieces for a quilt in the evenings and knit in between.  I got to knit three more pairs of mitts, then I will knit only to pass the time, I got a lot of yarn so have to do something with it.





      
 


  Yesterday I ripped the rug, around the end was getting shabby, the one Mrs. Starzuk did, it was rayon she put in the end so I made two rows and noticed that it’s not hard to do.
          






 I did buy rug yarn and pattern to do like she does but I got so much to do so I don’t know when I will get at it.
          




  I haven’t started washing walls, likely will next month, I still think it’s winter, my walls need washing or two coats of paint if not as it’s oil furnace so the ceilings are very yellow.  I will not over do myself, I will wash the ceiling one day and walls another if I feel like it, if not there be another day.

            I haven’t heard from Diana since she was to Nestor’s, only sent me a card for Valentine’s but didn’t write, I guess everything is all right.  Perhaps she will phone tomorrow. 
            Yesterday I wrote to Nestor but it still here as we will go to town on Thursday 24th, I got to see the doctor some time, I think a waste of time but I get to go to town. 






            Dad is watching the hockey after seeing two wrestling matches.   

           
Matt was to see George on Wed and said George was not feeling very good, he tried to help Lorne pulling out the motor out the truck and he was told not to work six months so he thinks he should do what they say. 
I will tell Dad tomorrow to go to see George and may call in on Gladys as she says we never come.




            Next Sunday we will go to church and after church we will go to see Dad’s sister, Nellie Bewza.  She phoned and said we never come and it’s a nice winter.
           








Karen is busy embroidering a Ukrainian blouse for Tracey and still got to do David’s shirt.   She has to get done for mid May; they will have the concert then.  They would have had Mother’s Day but then it’s Ukrainian Easter.

          Talking of Easter are you going for Easter to Bryan’s mother, will you stop here on the way.


            I will close for now, give my love to the little one.  God bless you all.













**********

If anyone's planning a menu for a large group,  here’s a recipe from The Southern Heritage Cakes Cookbook for a lovely, fine-textured  

PEANUT BUTTER CAKE


1 cup creamy peanut butter
2/3 cup softened butter
2 cups packed golden brown sugar
6 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¾ cup milk
2 tsp vanilla

·        Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
·        Grease and flour a 13 x 9 pan.
·        Cream peanut butter and butter.
·        Alternately beat in sugar and eggs.  Add vanilla and beat well.
·        Combine flour, baking powder, and salt.  Add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.
·        Spread batter in pan.
·        Bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
·        Cool cake in pan completely.
·        Spread with frosting.  (I used a toffee frosting.)






  

No comments:

Post a Comment