“No, no,” I promised everyone, “I won’t keep stopping to take mushroom pictures this time.”
And, I did manage to sneak by a lot of interesting ones. But then . . . Well, honestly, can you blame me? Flowers of the forest . . .
We even started naming a few:
Frosted Glass Mushroom: it was translucent!
Goop from Outer Space
And the WTF Mushroom
At Happy Hour, our daughter remarked, “I never met a stuffed mushroom I didn’t like.”
Jacques Pépin’s Stuffed Mushrooms
From: Jacques Pépin’s Simple and Healthy Cooking, c1994
To serve 4: 4 mushrooms for each person
16 medium button mushrooms
1 tbsp olive oil
2 ounces onion
1 clove garlic
1 slice bread
¼ cup raisins
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
Dash Tabasco (or to taste)
1. Whirl bread in food processor to make crumbs. Set aside.
2. Chop onion finely. Set aside.
3. Chop garlic finely. Set aside.
4. Chop cilantro. Set aside.
5. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
6. Remove mushroom stems.
7. Chop the stems in food processor and reserve.
8. Put mushrooms, hollow side down, in baking dish. Bake for 12 minutes.
9. Set mushrooms aside and preheat broiler.
10. Sauté onions in oil for 2 minutes.
11. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
12. Add chopped mushrooms and stir for 3 minutes over higher heat.
13. Add bread crumbs, raisins, cilantro, salt, pepper, and Tabasco.
14. Stuff mushroom caps.
15. Broil for 3 minutes.
16. Serve warm or at room temperature.