Friday 29 November 2013

An ANCIENT UKRAINIAN SAUCE and a Letter from MARY STADNYK

Nov 30th 1982   (30 cent stamp on envelope)

We have killed 30 geese, sold only ten so far, perhaps by Christmas time there be more wanting them and sold only four plants so far and no one phones for them, I may have to throw them out.

We were to town today, I tried to give those pillow cases but had no slip for them so they didn’t want to take them so I will have more pillow cases.

Aline was supposed to come last week but so far no one, I guess she’s killing her geese. 

 Today was a funeral for Ukrainian Catholic priest, he died at home, on Friday people found him dead sitting by the table. 

Bill Stadnyk [Dad’s nephew] was to see us on Sunday afternoon.  We were to church Sunday morning.

Diana been writing a lot lately.

It’s been nice for the last three days, it was so cold before.

How is the baby, did she get over the cold?   I am knitting her a scarf but I haven’t made as many mistakes in no knitting as what I have on scarf, I know no one will notice.  But I know where they are.  I am always correcting them.  I only started it yesterday.  When I finish I will be glad, I may have enough yarn to mitts too.  I will be glad when I be knitting mitts.

Dad had a bad cold, he had to see the doctor, now he’s all better. 

The hunting is over I think but only Clayton got one deer, haven’t heard of no one else getting any.  
My brother Wesley was down one day, they saw a lot but didn’t get any.  He took three geese and went home, he said he was never so cold. 

Closing with best wishes for everything and best of health. 

***************

Mom loved soup and boiled chicken.  Personally, I think boiled chicken’s okay, but definitely better with a sauce.  For instance, I LOVED it when Mom creamed the chicken. 

I also like Annette Ogrodnik Corona’s Onion-Honey Sauce for Poached Chicken.  She says that sauces “made sweet and sour with the addition of vinegar and honey are an ancient Ukrainian specialty”.
 
ONION-HONEY SAUCE  based on Annette’s recipe in The New Ukrainian Cookbook
3 tbsp canola oil
2 onions
1 cup chicken stock
2 tbsp honey
4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
½  tsp pepper
Salt to taste (about 1 tsp)
Paprika

·        Thinly slice the onions.

·       Sauté the onions in the oil over low heat for 15 minutes (don’t brown).

·       Add the chicken stock, increase heat to high, and cook for one minute.
·        Add the honey, vinegar, pepper, and salt to taste.
·        Pour over the chicken.  Sprinkle with paprika.

·        If the chicken is cold, put it in the oven (preheated to 350 degrees) and cook, covered, for 20 to 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment