Tuesday 27 August 2013

KASHA for breakfast & a LETTER from Mom

Savella Stechishin says, “Kasha is any cereal cooked like a porridge. . .”

I’ve had some Bulgur in my pantry for quite a while so I decided to give it a try.  Bryan and I quite liked it, and it’s simple to make.  Also, it you have some leftover, it heats up nicely in the microwave the next day.  So here it is:

BULGUR KASHA

1 cup bulgur
2 cups water
¼ tsp salt.
            Bring to a boil.  Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes until the water is absorbed. 
            Serve with brown sugar and milk. 

                        *You can also add toppings.  I liked chopped walnuts, and Bryan also added sliced bananas. 



*************
Aug 27, 1982

It froze hard last night.  Everything froze.  There is always a frost around this time but very light but this year it’s froze hard.  We likely will have an early winter.  Dad thinks of taking in potatoes as soon as they dry up.  He won’t wait like he did other years.

 We are going to a auction sale tomorrow.  I hope I get what I want.  I need certain kind of pot to cook pyrohy but I can’t get.  I had one but someone ran over it so I looked all over for one but it’s either too big or one like I have.  Oh likely I will come across one some time. 

Sunday we are going to church as we haven’t been there since last winter.  It was something always, either we could not go or the priest was sick.  The last time when we had dinner after church Dad was away at Diana’s and I had no way to go.  So I canned strawberries that day.

I am sorry that the baby is having earaches.  It must be like me.  I always get infection in my ears one at the time and I am sorry you had to take her off the bottle.  She may eat more solids but she will miss her bottle.  I did have George off at 8 months but I did give him the soother at night till he learned to be without.  But they do miss the bottle at night.  


I should wash the kitchen walls as they need it, perhaps this afternoon.  As it’s morning I am writing.  I embroider a bit but it don’t have the color chart so I have to judge myself and I am not good at it.  Dad says it’s nice but I wait for someone else’s judgment. 


I wrote to Nestor that we are not going now to see him.  It’s the geese.  There be no one to feed them as it will be harvest.  Next year we be free as we will only get few chickens and no more geese.


God bless you all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment