Tuesday 30 April 2013

SOUP . . . to the rescue!

Dad, 1964

Of course, everyone knows that chicken soup is POWERFUL MEDICINE.  

Marilyn wrote:   I have dreams of homemade noodle soup made from real chickens and homemade kisto!! What I'd give for a bowl of home made chicken .. the real kind!!" 

But, if you Google garlic and colds, you’ll find lots of information about how garlic is another ferocious ally.

Me, 1957

Once, when I was in grade 4 or 5, my dad brought me some garlic in hot milk.  I really didn’t want to drink it, but I loved my dad so down it went and . . . up it came.

*************

Enter, for my family, Paula Peck’s GARLIC SOUP with CROUTONS!

First, prepare the croutons:
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
3 to 4 slices of bread

·        Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
·        Cut bread into cubes.
·        Heat oil and butter in a frying pan over high heat.
·        Brown the bread cubes, stirring constantly.
·        Bake the cubes for 25 minutes.

Now, prepare the soup:

1 cup peeled garlic
1 tbsp finely chopped onion
1 tbsp olive oil
2/3 cup drained canned tomatoes
4 cups chicken soup stock (or a 900 ml carton – because colds strike without
                                                  warning)
¼ tsp pepper
Salt to taste

1.      Finely chop the garlic.
2.     Gently sauté garlic and onion in olive oil until softened.
3.     Blend the tomatoes in a food processor.
4.     Add pepper and tomatoes to the garlic in the sauce pan and cook for 3 more minutes.
5.     Add stock and simmer for 15 minutes.   Taste for salt.


Spoon up a delicious, steaming bowlful . . .  and feel better!

**************

Now Vesper's under the weather.  She needs to keep well-hydrated but only took a couple of laps of water.
Then I put out a bowl of Chicken Broth.
Down it went!


***********

And some advice for those rough patches that even Chicken soup won’t cure . . .

A friend, who worked as a Life Skills Coach, once told me, “Ask yourself – is this problem still going to be a big deal 5 years from now.  If it isn’t, it’s not worth stressing about now.”   





No comments:

Post a Comment