Thursday 11 April 2013

KAY FORAN and OLD TYME RICE PUDDING


The first time I met Bryan’s mother was at our wedding.  She impressed me immediately with her regal appearance and gracious manner. 


Kay was a wonderful mother-in-law; always pleasant, welcoming, and cheerful.


The girls have fond memories of Granny Foran.

******

Bryan remembers his mother making Rice and Raisin Pudding and serving it with milk.  He’s still a fan!
Bryan says his family never had it with cream.  In fact, cream was only for the adults in the Foran family who had it in coffee.  The children, however, sometimes got Carnation Evaporated Milk! 

*******



This recipe surprised me in so many ways.  First of all, I didn’t see how it could work – just ½ cup rice in 4 cups of milk – I was sure it would turn out to be only a big, milky mess.  Instead, it turned out to be exactly the rice pudding Mom used to make!   

I didn’t actually like rice pudding when I was growing up, but the rest of the family did.  It was a healthy dessert, served with milk, but we always poured cream on top, too.

This time I poured only milk all around it and ate it for breakfast.  It was better than a hot porridge (probably because of the novelty) and just as healthy too. 

But it also worked for me as a dessert in the afternoon – I reheated it in the microwave and ate it with vanilla ice cream.  Yum!

***********

OLD TYME RICE PUDDING
            From:  Better Homes and Gardens, New Cookbook (the old 1960s edition)
½ cup rice  (I used Arborio rice)
4 cups milk
½ cup sugar
½ tsp salt
1 tsp grated lemon peel
¼ tsp nutmeg
½ cup raisins.

·        Preheat oven to 300.
·        Butter an 8 or 9 inch round casserole.
·        Combine all ingredients and pour into casserole.
·        Bake, uncovered, for 3 to 3 ½ hours.

**********

Insomniacs and New Moms:  this could work for you J.  Just before going to bed,  combine all ingredients except milk.  At 4 am, pop casserole in the oven.  Yummy breakfast ready at 7 or 7:30 am.

Otherwise, make it any old time and reheat in microwave.  Nicole says:  It was a super yummy breakfast--especially for the sleep deprived:) I started seeing faces in the rice patterns lol

Marilyn says:  Thanks for posting this recipe.. I brought memories of me being a very young cook. I had found the recipe in Manitoba Co-operator Newspaper. Do you remember that paper? I loved Mom's snowball rice pudding..snowball being the operative word! I remember reading and thinking the same .. so much milk and so little rice..I used my bright red dutch oven, cause I hate messes and to my surprise had a beautiful golden rice pudding, but not Mom's recipe! Bryan's Mom is lovely!

Marilyn also says:  Mom was very proud of her snowball rice pudding.. it had to be a perfect white!! I not sure what the recipe was! I think the rice is cooked first then made into a pudding

Angela, another of Kay's granddaughters, says:   The Christmas picture brought back memories... The china cabinet behind Bryan is now just a few feet behind me, here in the living room. :-)

Hey, Everybody!  If you have a Snowball Rice Pudding recipe, please share it.  :)


P.S.  April 14:  I tried this recipe again, this time with Brown Jasmine Rice.  It did NOT work.  


No comments:

Post a Comment