Friday 4 January 2013

Happy Birthday, Diana!


My sister, Diana, enjoys many things.

She is very fond of animals.


early 1960s: Diana, wearing a hat for church, with our dog, Lefty    

Church is very important to Diana. 

She also enjoys writing.  Here’s one of her short anecdotes about church:

“I will be away next week,” our priest announced.   "I’m going on retreat "
 
The service ended.
Outside, the chatter, in the breezy air, sounded happy.
 
Our priest was walking alone to his car .
   

“Father, what should we say to you as you go on retreat?” asked one of the parishioners.
 
“Ha,” said Father blushing and laughing ... “BEHAVE YOURSELF.


Diana has had many different pets.

Diana with her pet crow:  May, 1967


Her dogs, Cassie and Jake

Near her lake cottage, with Cassie.

Diana enjoys fishing at the lake.

She also loves to travel. 

We often talk about our trip to Ukraine.


Khotyn Castle, Ukraine


Restaurant at Khotyn Castle

**************  
Like the rest of the family, my sister loves to cook.  Diana has taught many ladies how to make perogies.                                                       
          
Here’s a good recipe for you, Diana, combining at least a couple of your interests!

VARENIKI with FISH:  (perogies)


Published by “Technika” in Kiev, 1975
FILLING:

300 g perch or pike fillets
1 onion, chopped finely
6 tbsp oil
Slice of bread
¼ tsp pepper
½ to 1 tsp salt

1.     Add just enough water to the slice of bread to soak it.
2.     Sauté the onion in the oil.
3.     In a food processor, blend together fish, sautéed onion, salt, pepper, and bread.

VARENIKI/PEROGIES

Follow the instructions for the dough and how to cook perogies given in my first post:   

http://eleanorstadnyk.blogspot.ca/2012/06/perogiesvarenikipyrohi.html

Fish at Yaremche Market, Ukraine

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I adore animals. I always have. But must say my first crow was called "Stinky" . It had to do with being a teenager wanting early morning sleep. Over the years my other pets had lovely
    names and lots of love. I never forgot my first crow, though. And for 4 years at Sioux Narrows I
    fed many a black feathered friend. I never named them but totally enjoyed them. Many a poo was brushed away with old toothbrushes.
    Cabin guests had to behave or they might have missed a toothbrush.

    ReplyDelete