Sunday 4 November 2012

Cranberry Muffins and Tea


Toast for breakfast again?  Alright, if you have changed the jam and the bread . . . otherwise, I’d rather a muffin, please. 

Over the years, I have made soooo many different muffins.  There was nothing special to draw me to the recipe in The Nancy Drew Cookbook except that it was Halloween and the book seemed to fit the theme.


To my surprise, I loved the muffins; hot, dense, and buttery. Perhaps not for breakfast, but . . .  

Perfect for Tea in the Afternoon 


BLACKWOOD HALL MUFFINS
4 tbsp soft butter
½ cup sugar
1 egg
1 ½ cups flour
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
½ cup milk
½ cup dried cranberries   (Nancy suggested 1 cup fresh blueberries)

1.        Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2.       Grease a jumbo muffin tin (makes 6 muffins).
3.       Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl.
4.       Mix in 1 egg.
5.       In a smaller bowl, mix together flour, salt, and baking powder.
6.       Stir milk and flour into butter/egg mixture.
7.       Stir in cranberries.  (The dough is very stiff; it’s a mystery how it will work  . . . but it does.)
8.       Bake 20 to 23 minutes.
9.       Serve with butter and tea.

Delicious and very sweet!   Since I made them for Halloween, I can’t resist pairing this recipe with this adorable picture:


late 1980s:  my cousin Marilyn and her children

Come to Tea, Cousin, anytime!




No comments:

Post a Comment