Friday 26 October 2012

My choice today: BUTTERSCOTCH PUDDING


  
when I was in Grade 2

Mom was 34 years old when I was born.   I was the sixth of seven children . . .  and I was born on the homestead, with no doctor in attendance.   There were complications at the end, but my father dealt with them.

My brother Nestor was only a year and nine months when I arrived.   As soon as he saw me, he generously offered me his ‘pipka’.   But I had such a tiny mouth that Dad had to go into town to buy a special nipple for the milk bottles. 

I like cake, but if I'm given a dessert choice, and since it's my birthday I think I might be, I'll choose    PUDDING!

Here's one of my all-time favourites –

MARY STADNYK’S BUTTERSCOTCH PUDDING:  4 servings

¼ cup butter or margarine (Mom preferred margarine)
¾ cup brown sugar, not packed
2 cups milk
6 tbsp flour
1/8 tsp salt
1 egg
½ cup Whipping cream

  1.  Whip ½ cup cream until stiff and set aside in the fridge.
  2. Beat the egg.
  3. Melt butter and brown sugar in a saucepan.
  4. Mix in the flour.
  5. Add some of the milk.  Whisk until there are no lumps.
  6. Beat some hot mixture into the egg.  Whisk egg and rest of the milk into the saucepan.
  7. Cook until thickened and shiny.  Whisk again at the end if necessary to remove lumps.
  8. Pour into pudding dishes, chill, and serve with a dollop of whipping cream.

I remember using my finger to happily clean every last bit of golden pudding out of the aluminum double boiler Mom used for cooking it.

2 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
    MNOHAYA LITA!!!
    Such sweet memories of your childhood, to go along the special sweet dessert....very cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dyakooyu doozhi! I do feel very lucky to have grown up with loving parents in a time when children didn't have to be so closely supervised and guarded as now.

      Delete