Tuesday 11 September 2012

HOT SPICY POTATOES and More about Dads

 
my cousin Marilyn’s father, Matt, and mother, Nellie (Mom's sister)

Marilyn wrote: "That is one of my favourite pictures of Mom and Dad!!!.. Some dispute as to whom the fur trim belonged - everyone claims it!"

Returning from Ireland this month, Marilyn wrote: "I've been thinking about what you wrote on my trip back to Canada, and I got hungry just thinking about fresh farm pork and pepper… the perfect combination!  My father also loved heat!  His favourite mustard was Keen's dry mustard mixed with a splash of water to form a smooth paste! great with cold chicken or beef!  In fact we had it served to us on our trip and it made me think of Dad! Horseradish fresh out of the garden has a lot of heat too! I guess I never thought of Ukrainian food as being spicy hot! 

*********************

ALU SAGH  (Indian Spinach and Potatoes, serves 4-5)

1 pkg. frozen chopped spinach, undrained
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp butter
1 pound potatoes
1 ½ pounds onions
1 clove garlic
1 tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp cardamom
50 grams fresh green chilies (or one large chili about 8 cm long x 2 ½ cm across top)
15 grams fresh ginger root (one inch knob)
¾ tsp salt
¾ cup water

  1.  Slice the onions.  Set aside on a plate.
  2. Chop garlic.  Add to the onions.
  3. Remove the seeds and chop the chili finely.   Add to the onions.
  4. Peel ginger root and chop.  Add to the onions.
  5. Peel potatoes and cut into ¾ inch pieces.
  6. Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan that has a lid over medium heat.
  7. Add the onions, garlic, chilies, ginger, potatoes, coriander, cardamom, and salt to the pan.  Keep stirring until the the bottom of the pan gets dark brown.
  8. Add the water and reduce the heat to low.  Stir to pick up the browning on the pan.
  9. Add the spinach and stir to blend. 
  10. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are done.  The liquid should be all absorbed.
  11.  You will need to serve a cooling dish of Raita with the potatoes.

ELEANOR’S RAITA  (to serve 4)

2 cups plain yogurt
½ chopped tomato
½ chopped cucumber

Mix together and serve.    (Do not add salt or pepper.)




2 comments:

  1. My last employer was from India, so I had a chance to taste some authentic Indian food.
    OMG...some of their sauces are soooooo HOT, yet when they eat them, there are no "heat stress" signs on their faces...yet I turn beet red from a drop of the sauce...I love my mild tasting foods.
    I like your presentation of the cucumbers with the dip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all Indian food is hot -- I think you'd enjoy Butter Chicken with Naan bread. Also Tandoori Chicken -- now that's addictive :)

      Delete