In Ukraine, you’re fascinated by this old lady . . .
and these ones
when all you did was set out to see the church.
At my dinner, I thought it was going to be all about the ham . . .
but then I took a forkful of the potatoes . . .
SCENE-STEALING POTATOES : serves 8
based on a recipe in Taste of Home magazine, Feb/March 1995
2 lbs 12 ounces potatoes (up to 3 pounds)
¼ cup butter
2 tbsp flour
1 and ½ cups milk
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
12 ounces Old Cheddar
- Boil unpeeled potatoes in enough water to cover and 1 tsp salt.
- Peel cooked potatoes, cut in cubes, and put in 9x9 casserole (needs a lid).
- Grate cheese and set by the stove.
- Make cheese sauce in a saucepan:
- melt the butter over medium heat
- stir in flour with a whisk
- stir in milk with whisk. When lumps are gone, use a wooden spoon to stir sauce until it thickens.
- stir in the cheese until melted
- Pour cheese sauce over potatoes.
- Sprinkle with paprka.
- Potatoes can wait now until one hour before dinner.
- One hour before dinner, preheat oven to 350.
- Cover potatoes and bake for 50 to 60 minutes.