Saturday 18 August 2012

BORSCH, CHILLED KHERSON STYLE



Crimea, September, 2008

Bohdan says that Kherson Borsch is popular in Southern Ukraine.

It has taken me a long time to appreciate a chilled soup.  For instance, I have a wonderful Four Seasons recipe for Vichyssoise but, after trying it chilled once, I’ve always served it piping hot.

Bohdan Zahny’s book, The Best of Ukrainian Cuisine, offers 21 different recipes for borsch so why did I choose a chilled version? 

First of all, I had buttermilk in the fridge.   Secondly, every window in the apartment was thrown open trying to catch a breeze.   Offering a chilled soup to my guests suddenly made complete sense.

 I wasn’t totally surprised when it tasted great.   I was finally ready to enjoy a chilled soup . . . so I did.
That’s the key  .  . .  confidence in what you’re going to serve. 
     
*************

KHERSONSKI BORSCH

p. 38 in Bohdan Zahny’s book, The Best of Ukrainian Cuisine

2 medium or 3 small beets
3 cups water
½ cup halved cucumber slices
1/3 cup chopped green onions
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp honey
2 tsp fresh dill
½ tsp pepper
½ tsp salt
2 cups buttermilk

  1.  Wash, trim, and quarter the unpeeled beets.
  2. Boil covered in 3 cups water for 15 minutes.  Test with a fork.
  3. Lift out beets and reserve water.
  4. Cool, peel, and chop beets.  Return to the water.
  5. Add cucumber, green onions, lemon juice, honey, chopped dill, pepper, salt, and buttermilk.
  6.  Chill before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment