Monday 9 July 2012

UKRAINIAN FOOD EQUALS CREAM?!?


Savella notes that one of her dishes is very much like scalloped potatoes except, she says, that a Ukrainian cook would use sweet or sour cream instead of milk. 

My mother’s scalloped potatoes actually were made with milk, and I loved them.  Mom said she made them for Dad when she was just married.  "He just loved them, " she said, "I put parsley in it as well."

However, since we needed to use up some whipping cream, my chef-lovik followed Savella’s recipe, and it was delicious.


Kartoplya Zapechena v Cmetani (Potatoes Baked in Cream)

2 pounds potatoes
1 small onion
¾ cup whipping cream
½ cup sour cream
salt and pepper
paprika  (Mary Stadnyk’s touch)

  1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Butter a large casserole dish that has a lid. 
  3. Finely chop the onion.  Put it on a dinner plate and set beside the casserole dish.  This is your assembly area.
  4. Blend the sour cream with the whipping cream.
  5. Fill a large bowl with cold water.
  6. Peel the potatoes and put them in the cold water so they won’t blacken.
  7. Dry one potato and slice finely.  Layer it into the bottom of the casserole dish.  Sprinkle it lightly with salt, pepper, and onions.
  8. Repeat with remaining potatoes and onions.
  9.  Pour on the cream.
  10. Cover and bake for 40 minutes.
  11. Uncover and bake for another 20 minutes.



2 comments:

  1. My mom used heavy cream in her soups,and sauces, but I try to use Half/Half or milk. I think our overall diet is richer now than my parents were used to, so cutting down on fat and calories here and there is helpful. I personally loooove sour cream, but my family is suggesting low fat sour cream or..... yogurt....I'm able to go with the low fat sour cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you except for one thing. You can use yogurt in baking but I've tried the low-fat sour cream on baked potatoes and perogies and gone back to the real thing. I just don't have it often.

      Delete