A large, orange, egg-shaped moon hanging over Georgia Strait,
A mysterious chocolate brown creature sliding through tall grass and orange poppies,
Long walks along forest trails and ocean cliffs.
Hornby Island. . .
This is the second time I have served duck in this way at Hornby. It’s a great recipe.
Tyshkovana Kachka (Braised Duck)
Savella’s recipe altered giving a modern treatment to the duck breast.
Begin cooking early in the day. The stewing should be finished well ahead of serving time and then just reheat before presenting.
However, you should sauté the breast just before serving.
1 duck 1 celery stalk
1 tsp seasoned salt !/2 pound mushrooms
¼ tsp pepper 2 tsp cornstarch
¼ tsp salt ¼ cup cold water
½ cup sour cream
1 onion seasoned salt for sprinkling
1 med or large carrot dill
1. Disjoint duck. (Reserve deboned breasts separately to sear just before serving.)
2. Put fat and fat skin bits in Dutch oven and set uncovered over medium heat to render.
3. Put neck, wing tips, breast bones, and backbones into saucepan. Add water to cover (at least 2 cups) and ¼ tsp salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for an hour to make duck stock.
4. Chop onion and set aside on one plate.
5. Chop celery and carrot and set aside together on another plate.
6. Slice mushrooms and set aside. (They go into the pot later than other ingredients.)
7. Drain off all fat from rendering in Dutch oven.
8. Set aside 2 tbsp rendered duck fat for searing breast.
9. Return 2 other tbsp of duck fat to the Dutch oven.
10. Pour remaining duck fat into a jar and save for sautéing in other recipes, such as potatoes. Duck fat can be heated to high temperatures without burning.
11. Sear all duck pieces except breast.
12. Remove duck from pot and drain the fat.
13. Return 2 tsp fat to Dutch oven and sauté chopped onion for 2 to 3 minutes.
14. Add celery and carrot. Sauté another 2 minutes.
15. Stir in 2 cups duck stock, 1 teaspoon seasoned salt, and pepper.
16. Return duck pieces (except breast) to Dutch oven.
17. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 40 minutes. Add mushrooms. Simmer additional 20 minutes.
18. Chop dill and set aside.
19. Blend cornstarch with cold water and stir in the sour cream.
20. Blend some of hot duck sauce into cream mixture. Then stir all of it back into the pot.
21. Season to taste. Set aside until it’s time to prepare the breast. Then return Dutch oven to reheat at a simmer while cooking the breast.
22. In 2 tbsp reserved duck fat, sear breasts that have been sprinkled with seasoned salt.
Cook skin side down for 5 minutes. Flip to other side for 1 to 2 minutes. Then flip back to skin side for 3 more minutes. (10 minutes is probably all for breast -- it will be just rare and delicious, but just to check slice into the thickest part before taking off the heat.)
23. Arrange duck pieces from Dutch oven on platter and drizzle with some sauce. Additional sauce goes into a sauce boat.
24. Carve breast into thin slices and arrange at one side of platter.
25. Garnish with dill.